Classic Gal

:)

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"The Shop Around the Corner"

    Well, last night I finished watching "The Shop Around the Corner." Pretty cute movie.  Magaret Sullavan and Jimmy Stewart display great chemistry together, and I love the scene in which Margaret Sullavan, (Klara Novak) tries to sell the cigarette box to a customer.  The last scene is great as well when Jimmy finally tells her he had been the writer of the letters, which she had loved to open and read as soon as she received them.  My favorite line would probably be the one at the end when Jimmy Stewart tells her, " Now open me up and kiss me." 
   Well, I was wondering how this would relate to Miss GR. The only thing I came up with was that Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan were great friends of Ginger's.  Maggie Sullavan married Leland Hayward, which was Ginger's agent.  GR talks about a chapter in her autobiography, "A Bear Escape" in which Maggie Sullavan threw a sandwich out to a bear on their way up to visit Ginger's ranch. Apparently, the meat flew out of the sandwich and landed right below the window of their car. The bear proceeded to eat the ham and for a fraction of a second Magaret's nose and the bear's face were only inches apart.  They couldn't roll up the window because a 300 lb. bear was on top of it.  The bear then jumped onto the top of the car, and Mother Lela zoomed away across the snow.  Ginger says that Lela was quite mad at Maggie Sullavan. 
That's all for this post.  I found a few GR Christmas photos that I will try to post next time. 


                           Pink Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment